Wednesday, February 20, 2008

alpha. genesis. 1개. whatever you like.

I've been wanting to do this for a while. (everybody. else. is.)


After attending a recent lecture given by pop culture journalist Chuck Klosterman, I was moved by his statement on the current status of our celebrities. He mentioned how the bar to be considered a celebrity has been greatly lowered in the past fifteen years and also spoke of our guilty pleasures in watching reality television (but not me. no. i never watch that stuff).


Chuckles explained why many viewers of reality shows enjoy the programs. First, the viewer relates to particular reality "actors" (there has to be a better word - my apologies) and sees these people as being famous due to their presence on television, and finally, they can consider themselves as being famous. Klosterman then spoke of how blogs, myspace, and facebook create similar situations where others can read about one's life or personality(ies) and in return, feel famous.


There you go. I want to be famous. If I had my way, I would be a rock star. ugh...


After doing some research on the blogs of close friends, blogs of businesses of close friends, and blogs with large readership, of whom I'd like to consider friends, I found many not starting their online sagas with proper introductions or prefaces. So, here is who i is. I'll try and keep it brief.



I am the product of two first generation physicians, my father making a ten year layover in Sao Paulo, Brazil where he didn't speak Portugese or...go to high school. That's right, Korean elementary to Brazilian medical school. But don't be impressed, he had to spend one year learning the language, and then a few working at a grocery store so he could save money, not for school, but to help feed the family. So, from that, you can probably guess what my childhood was like.


The mom and pops set my life up for med school, kids, hard earned but big dollars with a big house (with my parents living upstairs), a couple cars, and maybe golfing on the weekends. Typical Korean dreaming.


As of this morning, I am a street scholar with a bachelor of music degree and a twice-per-week cafe job. Salary? Health insurance? Sorry, we haven't gone over those words yet in ESL class. So far I know "tips" and for some reason I'm out five hundred bucks every "first of the month."



So here's a start to something great. Fame? Personal venting? Creative writing?




sure.

No comments: