Thursday, March 27, 2008

whale watching is far superior to bird watching

Hawaii is nice. I'm sitting here on the patio of our ocean side condo, trying to decide if I prefer the Pacific Ocean over the Atlantic. It's taken me a few years to actually appreciate the ocean - I guess I'm more of a super serene, super quiet mountain guy (think Aspen or Banff without the rich folk and the colored people serving them). I guess Hawaii has the best of both since it is a group of submerged volcanoes, but I think it's safe to say that most people here spend more time on the beach than they do in the volcano.


So I'm out here with my girlfriend's family (minus a few key members) on Maui, making the most of the weather, and enjoying the escape from the Midwestern snow and suck. I'm supposed to do a whole post on her, something like a "Celebration of Liz," but I'm afraid it will:
1) piss off the tens of tens (opposed to white people's tens of thousands current readers) - minus one
2) deter potential subscribers to this fine online publication
3) never be good enough - in other words, incomplete and insufficient - to one particular reader's expectations


So, I'll drop a blurb about our wild and unique relationship. Unlike most couples, we never fight or argue. Also, we spend our weekends at the zoo, mimicking the apes by picking the bugs out of our mate's hair and then eating them. I'm not trying to boast or show you that my relationship is better than yours, but, in fact, it is.


We've been dating for about five years (not really sure, but she isn't either, which makes it ok), will potentially get married in another five (if I'm still alive and if she has a new attraction to diabetics), and will give our kids up for adoption and use the money to adopt children from another country. Hopefully this kid will be able to speak in his/her native tongue so I can learn new languages; perhaps a child from France or Uzbekistan, and most definitely two or three Himalayan Whistle children.


Many young couples see themselves with their mates traveling the world, growing old, and then residing in a location similar to where I am now. Not us. I see myself at age seventy-three, rushing through my tasks at the café and punching out early, racing home in my dad's car but feeling clever about having already packed the suitcase, picking Liz up from our three bedroom apartment (pre-furnished), driving down to Chicago, and meeting our serial killer son for a taping of Jerry Springer with his Polynesian girlfriend and our Afro-Asian-American grandson...and their Kenyan babysitter.



So, stop pitying yourself if you see your future being dismal or incomplete - start setting goals like we have and you'll be bound for potential or partial happiness. Stop being a Charlie Brown and put on a "Joan Rivers" face.


In other news, I'm trekking to Korea two short days after my return from Hawaii - going to eat some food, see some fam, take an audition, and then swallow and eat more food. I'd like to focus my next post on classical music, and how to get you all interested. It would help if you could leave a comment about why you feel it's difficult to find an interest, or even access classical music.

respek.

2 comments:

Liz S. said...

Happy 5-year anniversary!
Love,
Liz

haphcaph said...

That C Brown stuff was mad depressing. They show that to children? Well, I guess reality is the best medicine. Lucy's such a B though, uggghhh.
Per your question on classical music. I think it is simple. Our generation, or the majority of, has no surrounding social structure that encourages the consumption of classical music. The only kids that listen to Bach, Wagner, etcetera are the Lames (of which I often categorize myself). But in my opinion the Lames are often the one's who through the trickle-up effect end up setting the trends in the end. Just look at nerdy hipster-esque kids, and then the next year look in the windows of Urban outfitters. Same. Trickle-up. See Cool Kids "you think you cooler than me?". So all that is needed is for there to develop a classical music youth subculture and within a few years time there would be a classical music mainstream culture. How to achieve this subculture is the difficult question. In my uncultured midwest ignorance I had not experienced live classical music until your concert back in around the holidays. Yet finding myself pinned to the back of my seat by the intense visual and aural stimulation, I thought, how could you not be down with this? But, as youth, we are intimidated by the cost, the old folks, and in particular the lack of classical music's presence in our most cherished subcultures - aka fixed gears, skinny jeans, dirty south, doggy style sex, etc...know what I'm sayin?